Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Salary: £45,000 - £50,000
Location: University of Bath, Bath
Cellular Agriculture is looking for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer. The position will take a leading role in the development of bioprocess systems for cultivated protein production. The successful candidate will look for and implement creative solutions to challenging problems, working closely with engineering and scientific colleagues, both internally and outwardly facing. They will become a key member of a growing multi-disciplinary engineering team and be pivotal in creating a holistic, flexible, cost-effective, and scalable engineered solutions in a cutting-edge area of food-focused biotechnology.
As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer your responsibilities will include:
- Collaborate closely with multidisciplinary teams to comprehend project objectives and build system requirements.
- Utilise your expertise to conceptualise, design, and realise innovative, robust, safe, effective and user-friendly solutions for processes and equipment.
- Employ cutting-edge design and simulation tools to rapidly create detailed models, prototypes, and analyses, facilitating accurate assessment and enhancement of concepts and designs.
- Source materials, components, and suppliers
- Build your designs and conduct testing, measure performance and assess risks in order to optimise designs for functionality, energy efficiency, scalability and cost-effectiveness.
- Develop comprehensive technical documentation, including detailed design specifications, reports, and presentations, for effective communication both internally and externally.
- Actively lead and participate in design reviews, offering valuable insights and contributing to continuous refinement of processes
- Stay abreast of industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices to drive innovation within the team and across projects.
Management and administration
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and partner companies to deliver company targets.
- Lead workstreams from a technical perspective and report progress and risks to the project manager or other senior reports
- Prepare work plans and high-quality technical reports
- Participate in internal and external initiatives/events for the benefit of the company
- Seek service providers to support design and development
- Employ best practice and continuously improve processes and quality
- Adhere to procedures, standards, and delivery expectations
- Routinely engage in professional and personal development and training
- Undertake administrative duties commensurate with the role
- Other duties as requested by senior reports.
To succeed as a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, we ask that you have the following experience
- Typically, 3-8 years’ experience post-degree
- Strong problem solving, engineering design and execution skills in an R&D environment
- Experience with development and delivering complex commercially driven process/machinery technology solutions
- Lab/pilot equipment or device/product prototyping skills
- Knowledge of suppliers for parts and services procurement
- Commercial awareness
- Working to HSE procedures in a lab or manufacturing setting. Appreciation of safe systems of work.
- Degree in a relevant subject area (mechanical engineering, design engineering, product or industrial design, manufacturing engineering etc.)
Preferred, but not essential
- Extensive experience with hygienic processing, sterile operation, fermentation, bioreactor systems or medical devices
- Demonstrable ability to manage research programmes to deliver milestones
- Experience with control systems for small scale systems (hardware configuration, electronics, software)
- Experience with sensing and process control solutions in biotech or adjacent industries e.g. food, water treatment or general fluid handling systems
Closing date: TBC
First stage Teams interviews: TBA
On site/ Final stage interviews to be held on 6th December,2023
What you will get in return:
In addition to working in a world class facility based in the Bath region with a supportive and inclusive team, you will receive a highly competitive base salary, share options in a growing biotech enterprise, competitive holiday allowance and benefits package including pension, medical cover and life assurance. Access to world-class training, development, and networking with organisations across cellular agriculture, and food & agriculture more broadly.
Cellular Agriculture Ltd. produces technology that aims to make cultivated meat a widely available, sustainable, ethical, affordable protein alternative.
We are passionate about food security with an enthusiasm for next-generation solutions, innovative technologies, sustainability, and the future of food and agriculture, and are looking for like-minded people to join our growing team.
The company is structured between a Research and Development Department responsible for innovating, an Engineering Department that delivers scaled iterations of bioreactors and bioprocess, and an Operations Department responsible for ensuring the company runs smoothly. These Departments work seamlessly together towards delivering technology that allows a sustainable alternative protein to diversify food stuffs for food security across the world.
We are committed to being an inclusive workplace. We strongly believe in having a diverse and equal culture with a range of people who will contribute to our community and culture from day one, influencing our day-to-day working and encouraging growth.