Senior Engineer - Bioprocess (2-year FTC)
Senior Engineer - Bioprocess (2-year FTC)
Location: Bath with occasional travel
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Engineer, with an expertise in Bioprocess, to join Cellular Agriculture on our journey towards real sustainability within the food manufacturing industry. As leaders in the cultured protein space we're constantly growing and looking for talented individuals to contribute towards work that really matters.
As a Senior Engineer you will develop process methodologies to expand cells at increasing scales to drive forward process in order to turn concepts into reality for cultivated protein production. You will be capable of combining strong bioprocess knowledge with an appreciation and willingness to understand underlying biological aspects. You will contribute towards improvements in product quality whilst working towards eventual full-scale operation in a cutting edge area of biotechnology. This is an exciting opportunity for a multi-disciplined, self-motivated individual to join an innovative and completely new industry!
To succeed as a Senior Engineer - Bioprocess, we ask for the following experience, skills and attributes:
- Lab or industry experience or gained through an advanced degree, or equivalent
- Strong problem-solving, experimental design and execution skills in an R&D laboratory environment
- Upstream bioprocess experience for expansion of mammalian cells using e.g. lab/pilot fermentation systems
- Working to HSE procedures in a lab or manufacturing setting
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant subject area (biochemical engineering, chemical engineering, biotechnology)
It would also be beneficial (but not essential) for you to have:
- An understanding of and experience in characterising and optimising mammalian cell culture and stem cell differentiation processes.
- Experience working practically in commercially-driven science/engineering/technology innovation-led company
As Senior Engineer - Bioprocess some of the responsibilities will be to:
- Work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists to develop upstream bioprocesses based on conventional and novel bioreactor formats
- Set-up and characterise physical and chemical dynamics of bioreactor systems to ensure their suitability for bioprocesses
- Design and execute experimental programmes to scale-up mammalian cell culture processes from flask to pilot scale
- Analyse process data to link system variables and outputs to inform models for onward process scale-up
- Develop and optimise methods and strategies for cell seeding, expansion and harvesting
- Review and revise upstream process design and operation to achieve optimal economic, environmental and social performance at a range of process scales
Why join our winning team?
In addition to working in a world class facility based in the Bath region with a supporting and inclusive team, you will receive a highly competitive base salary, share options in a growing biotech enterprise, competitive holiday allowance and benefits package including pension, medical cover and life assurance. Access to world-class training, development, and networking with organisations across cellular agriculture, and food & agriculture more broadly.
Cellular Agriculture Ltd is aiming to make cultured meat a widely available, sustainable, ethical, affordable protein alternative.
We are passionate about food security with an enthusiasm for next-generation solutions, innovative technologies, sustainability, and the future of food and agriculture, and are looking for like-minded people to join our growing team.
The company is structured between a Research, Development and Quality (RDQ) Department responsible for innovating and delivering the bioprocess technology, and the Operations Department responsible for ensuring the company runs smoothly. These Departments work seamlessly together towards delivering a sustainable alternative protein to diversify food stuffs for food security across the world.
We are committed to being an inclusive workplace. We strongly believe in having a diverse and equal culture with a range of people who will contribute to our community and culture from day one, influencing our day-to-day working and encouraging growth.