Principal Scientist - Biology
Principal Scientist – Cell Biology
Location: Bath with occasional travel
Experienced Principal Scientist, with an expertise in Cell Biology required for a fast-growing and exciting start-up company; to oversee and provide leadership of biological research and development across the company. This is a great opportunity to work in a ground-breaking, new industry; for someone who has the experience and knowledge to manage at a senior level, but still wants the element of practical laboratory work. You’ll have a direct impact on the growth and development of the company. Perhaps you’re looking to get away from the heavily regulated pharmaceutical industry, or you’re just looking for a forward thinking company! Either way, if you like a challenge please apply!
To succeed as a Principal Scientist, we ask for the following experience, skills and attributes:
- Ability in delivering complex commercially driven biological technology solutions.
- Demonstrably strong commercial awareness.
- Line management and project management experience
- Problem solving in a practical environment
- Practical skills in stem cell biology, mammalian cell culture and cell line development
- Knowledge of cellular mechanisms e.g. cell signalling, and the implications for product development
- Extensive knowhow in molecular and analytical biology, e.g. qPCR, sequencing, gel electrophoresis, proteomics, chromatography, histology, microscopic and spectroscopic analysis
- Demonstrable ability to manage research programmes to deliver milestones
- Experience with HSE procedures in a lab or manufacturing setting
The above skills and attributes are essential for success within the role.
As Principal Scientist some of the responsibilities will be:
- Lead and manage the development of cell culture processes, feedstocks, and media ingredients for cultured meat research, underpinned by a deep understanding of cell biology
- Providing technical input on IP, licensing and FTO matters; review agreements/contracts from a technical delivery perspective
- Be responsible and have oversight for the quality and validation of biological processes across all scales (lab to production)
- Support the Executive Leadership Team to ensure highest standards of quality, safety and regulatory standards relating to products and processes
- Providing updates and advice to the Executive Leadership Team regarding new opportunities such as partnering internally or externally; co-ordinating technical support for such partners
- Seeking and building new opportunities for R&D collaboration with third parties in line with strategic company aims
- Identify sources of funding and provide assistance with preparing bids to secure funds for industry-academic and industry-industry collaboration
Why join our winning team?
In addition to working in a world class facility based in the Bath region with a supporting and inclusive team, you will receive a highly competitive base salary, share options in a growing biotech enterprise, competitive holiday allowance and benefits package including pension, medical cover and life assurance. Access to world-class training, development, and networking with organisations across cellular agriculture, and food & agriculture more broadly.
Cellular Agriculture Ltd is aiming to make cultured meat a widely available, sustainable, ethical, affordable protein alternative.
We are passionate about food security with an enthusiasm for next-generation solutions, innovative technologies, sustainability, and the future of food and agriculture, and are looking for like-minded people to join our growing team.
The company is structured between a Research, Development and Quality (RDQ) Department responsible for innovating and delivering the bioprocess technology, and the Operations Department responsible for ensuring the company runs smoothly. These Departments work seamlessly together towards delivering a sustainable alternative protein to diversify food stuffs for food security across the world.
We are committed to being an inclusive workplace. We strongly believe in having a diverse and equal culture with a range of people who will contribute to our community and culture from day one, influencing our day-to-day working and encouraging growth.