Principal Mechanical Engineer
Location: Bath with occasional travel
We’re looking for an experienced and inventive Principal Mechanical Engineer to join our fast-growing and exciting team here at Cellular Agriculture. As a key part of the business, you will be designing and building bioprocessing equipment and fluid/material handling systems, utilising a range of tools and demonstrating creativity and innovative thought in product and process design. This is an exciting opportunity for a multi-disciplined, self-motivated individual to join an innovative and completely new industry!
To succeed as a Principal Mechanical Engineer, we ask for the following experience, skills and attributes:
- Ability in delivering complex commercially driven process/machinery technology solutions
- Demonstrably strong commercial awareness
- Line management and project management experience
- Problem solving in a practical environment
- Lab/pilot equipment or device/product prototyping skills
- Knowledge of suppliers for parts and services procurement
- Extensive experience with hygienic processing, sterile operation, fermentation, bioreactor systems or medical devices
- Demonstrable ability to manage research programmes to deliver milestones
- Experience with HSE procedures in a lab or manufacturing setting
As a Principal Mechanical Engineer some of the responsibilities will be:
- Lead and manage the development of safe, robust and effective process equipment from requirements, through design, build and testing stages, underpinned by a deep understanding of design and mechanical engineering
- Identify opportunities and partnerships, nurture relationships and deliver collaborative or client projects on time and in full
- Providing technical input on IP, licensing and FTO matters; review agreements/contracts from a technical delivery perspective
- Be responsible and have oversight for the quality and validation of mechanical engineering processes and equipment across all scales (lab to production)
- Play a key role in growing and developing members of the Mechanical Engineering Unit
- Create, embed procedures, standards and delivery expectations
- Providing updates and advice to the Executive Leadership Team regarding new opportunities such as partnering internally or externally; co-ordinating technical support for such partners
- Provide assistance with preparing bids to secure funds for industry-academic and industry-industry collaboration
Why join our winning team?
In addition to working in a world class facility based in the Bath region with a supporting and inclusive team, you will receive a highly competitive base salary, share options in a growing biotech enterprise, competitive holiday allowance and benefits package including pension, medical cover and life assurance. Access to world-class training, development, and networking with organisations across cellular agriculture, and food & agriculture more broadly.
Cellular Agriculture Ltd is aiming to make cultured meat a widely available, sustainable, ethical, affordable protein alternative.
We are passionate about food security with an enthusiasm for next-generation solutions, innovative technologies, sustainability, and the future of food and agriculture, and are looking for like-minded people to join our growing team.
The company is structured between a Research, Development and Quality (RDQ) Department responsible for innovating and delivering the bioprocess technology, and the Operations Department responsible for ensuring the company runs smoothly. These Departments work seamlessly together towards delivering a sustainable alternative protein to diversify food stuffs for food security across the world.
We are committed to being an inclusive workplace. We strongly believe in having a diverse and equal culture with a range of people who will contribute to our community and culture from day one, influencing our day-to-day working and encouraging growth.